Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads-Up Drink Driving Limits
I was having a brief conversation with a couple of colleagues at work and I thought it would be worthwhile sharing some of the key points that we were talking about around the drink drive limit in the UK with the wider community.

Even though most of you may be aware or have received communications in the past, I want to point out that the drink drive limit in Scotland is lower than that of other parts of the UK. I have extracted a table from the government’s website ( https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit ) with this information.

Level of alcohol                                   England, Wales and Northern Ireland            Scotland
Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath                     35                                            22
Milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood                         80                                            50
Milligrams per 100 millilitres of urine                          107                                          67

The reason I wanted to bring this to people’s attention is that we often go driving on company business and we often share a meal and a drink with our colleagues in the evening. While there are a number of factors that influence the alcohol in our system, the ‘typical guidelines’ suggest that to stay below the 50mg limit, an average man would be limited to just under a pint of beer or a large glass of wine, but while you may be within the limits for driving after a pint in England (average man), that pint with your meal in Scotland could mean you are driving illegally.

It is also worth noting that the limits in England are some of the highest in Europe so bear this in mind as this will affect a number of us with commitments to visit overseas suppliers within Europe. The numbers and countries listed below may not be fully up to date but an interesting look across Europe for information (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30329743):

What is the legal limit elsewhere in Europe? (All figures per 100ml of blood)
         Zero - Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovenia (drivers with less than three years’ experience), Germany (less than two years’ experience or aged under 21)
         20mg - Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Cyprus (south), Ireland (learner drivers only), Latvia (less than two years’ experience), Lithuania (less than two years’ experience), Greece (less than two years’ experience), Luxembourg (less than two years’ experience and professional drivers), France (bus drivers only)
         24mg - Slovenia
         30mg - Germany (for those involved in an accident)
         40mg - Lithuania
         50mg - Scotland, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (if not involved in an accident), Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus (north)
         80mg - England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Malta

I’m hoping this note will educate some individuals who were not aware of this, but I mostly wanted to reinforce a key safety message for those driving on company business (or driving in general). The best advice I often hear and want to give is to not drink at all if driving, but if you really, really, really, want to, do remember the facts and information above.
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
I only found out recently, that Scotland has an almost zero tolerance to drink driving. I bet a lot of people in the rest of the uk are not aware of this.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
I can not believe that Romania has a zero policy on drinking and then driving their horses
It’s all very well having policies like that. Implementing them, is a totally different thing. Love to see a possed up horse chase on Romanian police, camera action.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
One EU.....

I’m not opening that old chestnut that has divided this forum in the past.... but why do different member states have such differing laws, WHEN we all follow the dictat from Brussels?

Here’s one that shattered me.

Germany, just lowered the age for mopeds to 15 and sweeteners towards bike licences and car licence acquisition. That’s what we need to do, especially as France still has a 14 yo on mopeds....

(14-01-2020, 01:29 PM)DrMarten Wrote: One EU.....

I’m not opening that old chestnut that has divided this forum in the past.... but why do different member states have such differing laws, WHEN we all follow the dictat from Brussels?

You're getting word blind, it say Europe, not EU Big Grin

And 28, soon to be 27 sovereign nations have always had their own laws anyhow, it's a Daily Mail fallacy that we don't have control of our own laws Tongue

On a more informed note, here's the law for Ireland, an independent sovereign member of the EU, from a friend on the T800 forum

Full Irish limits are below

The legal limits for fully-licenced drivers in Category B are: Same for bikes - category A

50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
67 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
22 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath

The legal limits for professional, learner and novice drivers are: (Novice for 2 years post test)

20 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
27 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
9 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath
I don’t read rag tops.....

The Times here, prefer the research and journalistic style.

I do honestly mourn the loss of the EEC.... a truly inspiring ethos. But we’ve chewed more than a field of hay about the EU.

(14-01-2020, 07:00 PM)DrMarten Wrote: I don’t read rag tops.....

The Times here, prefer the research and journalistic style.

I do honestly mourn the loss of the EEC.... a truly inspiring ethos. But we’ve chewed more than a field of hay about the EU.

The Times is marginally better on the face of it, but still part of the same ownership circle :
"1981 to present – News UK (formerly News International, a wholly owned subsidiary of News Corp, run by Rupert Murdoch)"

Yeah, three years in and still nobody can advise what anyone is going to gain, in other news : https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-w...?r=US&IR=T

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heads-up M6 Dilbert 9 323 26-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Last Post: DrMarten
  The dictatorship/Government to put driving licence database on line to lower premiums lbk 3 655 12-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Badboybez
  New French Driving Laws Badboybez 4 704 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Last Post: xandyx1