Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European sat nav
Any recommendations for a European sat nav?
Tom tom, simple as fook.
I am Weasel. Hmm, toasty warm hands................. I love my smashing heated grips O'shagnasty.
[Image: 84UXVnH0.jpg]
Think they all have European maps on nowadays
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Your phone
I am Spartacus 
Garmin have a variety of maps covering the UK, Ireland, and different parts of Europe, but make sure your memory card is big enough !

Phone based ones work Ok, until you lose your phone signal, some GPS phone apps will still work though Google Maps can be a bit random in Cumbria, never mind Europe Big Grin
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
I have a Garmin (Garmin Nuvi 2508 LMT-D) but it's UK only, European maps looks like a £75 one off purchase.

A new Tom Tom or Garmin looks about £100 with lifetime European maps.

How does it work with the phone, do you need your data on?
usually data comes out of your normal allowance in Europe - depending on what contract you've got. Knowing you and the tightfisted ways you probably haven't got this  Big Grin Laugh
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Laugh Laugh  What you saying Bezly.
It may all change with Brexit anyway? Think I'm better off with an offline version or physical Nav Huh

Just whether I cough up £75 for one off maps or £100 on a new device or try and find some dodgy garmin maps that work for less than £75
Garmin here, tbh, TomTom are just as good.... just depends on how you like to input information or how gimmicky the graphics appeal...

I have gone from a Garmin to a Tom Tom. Have to say, the Tom Tom is much simpler to use and is a far superior unit.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Do you use the speed cam part of the TomTom, the only swayer at the min is Gamin has them built in forever whereas Tom Tom is £ subscription model.
(05-01-2020, 05:36 PM)lbk Wrote: I have gone from a Garmin to a Tom Tom. Have to say, the Tom Tom is much simpler to use and is a far superior unit.

Mine's an old (11 years) Garmin Zumo 550, I keep looking to change it for one with a better display (lane guidance, etc) and full postcode search, but I find the pc based route mapping is better and it has much more functionality than many of the newer ones, the main issue is that it's such a big brick compared to newer ones.

Mark
I got lifetime maps 8-10 years ago so I update them every six months, or so and it seems to download the cameras at the same time, works for fixed cameras, but not always up to date with mobile ones, I used a subscription database and that was the opposite, forever binging and pinging every 1/2 mile because someone had reported a mobile camera there 3yrs ago Undecided
My Tom Tom has life time maps and speed camera updates.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Is that your Garmin or Tom Tom Dilbert?
Remember that using speed camera notifications are illegal in France and some other countries
I am Spartacus 
(07-01-2020, 12:11 PM)MarkW7 Wrote: Is that your Garmin or Tom Tom Dilbert?

Antique Garmin Zumo 550 Big Grin
(07-01-2020, 01:20 PM)Ledwardio Wrote: Remember that using speed camera notifications are illegal in France and some other countries

Does that apply to Sat Nav notifications, or Road Angel type speed detectors ?

What you need is French taxi driver "knowledge", they know where all the speed cameras are, 80-110 kph where there are cameras, 150 kph everywhere else Laugh
(07-01-2020, 01:32 PM)Dilbert Wrote: Does that apply to Sat Nav notifications, or Road Angel type speed detectors ?

Both. The French cops are quite well versed at checking the setup on SatNavs if they stop you - keen feckers.
I am Spartacus 
You ever been stopped and searched then Lee by our French neighbours?

I've got a Garmin already so may well go for a Tom Tom as a change  Huh
The french cops aren’t twats.... they simply enforce.