Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generation X.....
How to explain this one.....

Daughter came up this week, and amongst the topics of conversation of catch up, the subject of bikes raised its ugly head.

I had said about a change was in progress, when.... the innocence of babes came forth. She said, just look at how you are, somewhat brought on by riding bikes, mum was the same. Really, father, I cringe each time I know you are out on them these days....isn’t it time to give up?

Well.... you know that sensation of time standing still? She was talking, but it was all in the background?? 
Do what? I thought? Really??

On coming out of this hazy fog of Millennial thinking... I’m sure I heard the... they are so dangerous and car drivers are arses.... you know that Dad.

It’s a wake up call... how others see you as a person. I was concerned that she was seeing me as ageing.... you know.. reactions slowing, conversation being less agile... etc et al...

It did strike a chord with me though. I saw my Dad age rapidly post 70.... and I’m only 54 for gods sake! 

However, I did say that I’ve recognised my limitations and am more likely to leave the bike in the garage than go out and suffer a heap of pain for 10 minutes of pleasure.....

But here is the question.

How many of you can recognise these signs....and how would you react to them being placed before you by a loved one?
Would it be the typical Generation X response of .... feck you, I’m a hard ass....
OR
Give it a moments thought, and give the response above?!
OR
What would you do...

Me? Give up my bike? Err..... no. So I’m still GenX.... for now.

It am I right I’m assuming that some of you are not as active on bikes nowadays? You old feckers!

That’s lovely she is concerned about her dad and wants to tell you how much you are part of her life and she doesn’t want to see anything bad happen to you, she also has a point motorbikes are dangerous no escaping that.

Our Steph was never a fan and told me she didn’t like them, as for the kids it was my general health weight and drinking they constantly had words about.

It’s good the ones we hold close feel they can talk about these things
Definitely Generation X here... You've got to have some enjoyment in life to be able to look forward to. 

When a particular set of wheels gets too heavy because of old age then simply change to a lighter set of wheels till I get to the Puch  Big Grin

Seriously though, I'll keep going on bikes till I physically cannot.
I think it’s pretty understandable for her to see the danger aspect of biking even having been raised with it throughout her life, social media is constant message of the horrors that are outside of the world of the smartphone. Combined with being able to see the current wear and tear on you, it’s bound to ring a bit of an alarm bell. I bet it wasn’t easy for her to bring the subject up. 

That said you are obviously working around your current limitations with only small jaunts, if you said you were thinking of heading off on a massive trip I’d also bring telling you to take stock. 

I’ve not had any similar pressure from home, yet. I wouldn’t be offended, maybe disappointed, but I would expect there to have been some catalyst so would understand. 

When Charley was born I had a couple of people who said that they thought I would stop biking now I was a Dad. I must say it never occurred to me. The thinking typically was ‘it’s dangerous, you could die’. I explained that with that thinking you’d never do anything ever again, hardly a suitable role model. If you wrap yourself in enough cotton wool you’ll suffocate.

My biking is a bit reduced at the minute but that’s more down to circumstance and family ebbing and flowing rather than winding it up. I’m proper fucked off today, it’s a perfect biking day outside but Steph has gone away on a cruise so I’m with the boy for a week so can hardly go disappearing for the day as I would normally  Sad
I am Spartacus 
Quote:My biking is a bit reduced at the minute but that’s more down to circumstance and family ebbing and flowing rather than winding it up. I’m proper fucked off today, it’s a perfect biking day outside but Steph has gone away on a cruise so I’m with the boy for a week so can hardly go disappearing for the day as I would normally  [Image: sad.gif]

i'm sure he'd be fine on the back and won't tell his Mum Cool
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

He would Bez, but sadly he’s just not interested  Sad
I am Spartacus 
That’s the rub, Rach was always on either of our bikes, and can actually ride one. I don’t think she sees the danger as alarm, more in a way that, the actual riding is doing me more harm than the prospect of falling off.

The one thing she hasn’t talked about is having lost her mum, she doesn’t want to think about losing her other parent yet.

But as the old saying goes..... you could be run over by a bus...

(16-02-2019, 04:51 PM)DrMarten Wrote: But as the old saying goes..... you could be run over by a bus...

Yeah I always used to counter that it is safer to ride the motorcycle than cross the road as a pedestrian.

This is interesting reading, page 4 in particular:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...e-2018.pdf
I am Spartacus 
(16-02-2019, 05:24 PM)Ledwardio Wrote:
(16-02-2019, 04:51 PM)DrMarten Wrote: But as the old saying goes..... you could be run over by a bus...

Yeah I always used to counter that it is safer to ride the motorcycle than cross the road as a pedestrian.

This is interesting reading, page 4 in particular:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...e-2018.pdf

I think the hole in that proposition Lee is the UK has what as a guess 50 million pedestrians and 30 thousand bikers (that’s  a guess but I imagine it’s in the tens of thousands) statistics show conclusively motorcycle are the most dangerous form of transportation
When I was at flying school, there was a brilliant cartoons with that well worn saying in aviation circles....

There are Old pilots and there are Bold pilots..... but there are no Old and Bold pilots.

I can relate that to biking....

In 37 years of road riding.... only one high side...setting off from a junction. Considering I used to ride like an utter twat.... I’d say the facts don’t work for me. But I’ve been one lucky twat!

Most bike riders.... dare I say, are inexperienced, unskilled... and ride far too fast or blinkered for their skill or conditions.
Those that bleat that I’m taking shite... may well have not seen the inevitable coming....

Hence, I was a Bold pilot once, and now I’m an Old pilot...

Wise words Doc

It’s all relative in the couple of years I have been doing events I have seen plenty of broken legs, ankles, arms, shoulders people collapsing off in an ambulance
I nearly gave up biking after my big spill. Oddly enough. It was my wife who talked me back on to one. She does worry a bit when I’m out on my bike but she understands, it’s a huge part of my life. It’s filled up my time for years, even socially. I’ve met some wonderful people and made some life long friends on the journey. All this was pointedly out to me by my wife. So the pluses far out way the negatives for her and me. She got it spot on too.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
(18-02-2019, 12:14 AM)lbk Wrote: I nearly gave up biking after my big spill. Oddly enough. It was my wife who talked me back on to one. She does worry a bit when I’m out on my bike but she understands, it’s a huge part of my life. It’s filled up my time for years, even socially. I’ve met some wonderful people and made some life long friends on the journey. All this was pointedly out to me by my wife. So the pluses far out way the negatives for her and me. She got it spot on too.

Yep all of that and the big feck off insurance policy lol
Laugh Laugh  Never thought of that.  Angel
"am I right I’m assuming that some of you are not as active on bikes nowadays? You old feckers!"

No ………… it's just you Big Grin

My daughter gave up long ago, it's just my mum now, not sure she's classed as a "millennial" though Huh Laugh
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
(18-02-2019, 12:14 AM)lbk Wrote: I nearly gave up biking after my big spill. Oddly enough. It was my wife who talked me back on to one. She does worry a bit when I’m out on my bike but she understands, it’s a huge part of my life. It’s filled up my time for years, even socially. I’ve met some wonderful people and made some life long friends on the journey. All this was pointedly out to me by my wife. So the pluses far out way the negatives for her and me. She got it spot on too.

I gave up for a day, mainly due to the after effects of the morphine, my wife never believed a word of it and by day three was helping me decide what to get next Laugh
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
Laugh Laugh
(18-02-2019, 02:26 PM)Dilbert Wrote:

I gave up for a day, mainly due to the after effects of the morphine, my wife never believed a word of it and by day three was helping me decide what to get next Laugh

Talking to some of the lads at weekend.... this is a familiar trend now by the women. Seems that if the men have bikes, they get out from under their feet..... and actively promote the purchase of a new bike...

Talking to some of the lads at weekend.... this is a familiar trend now by the women. Seems that if the men have bikes, they get out from under their feet..... and actively promote the purchase of a new bike...

Mmmmmm..... Good tactical manoeuvre !! Noted and stored for a couple of years  Big Grin
You need to get rid of that yank monstrosity!