Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Triumph Trophy Log
Alright ladies, new mount now in hand..

Here's my problems / to do list to get ready for a bash in 2019.

Outstanding:
  • Make seating comfy - 200 mile trip back on it and we were both fucked after, back and arse killing. Both kept sliding forward on the seat also.. We had stops as well.
  • Bar risers - Alleviate pressure on wrist and forearms - not got traditional bars.
  • Comms for helmet - Couldn't hear pillion
  • Cant see lights on dash / very dim (indications, neutral etc.)
Work in progress:
  • Sat nav wiring & mount - Can't mount traditionally (on a bar clamp) due to bars.
Completed:
  • Taller screen - now partially deaf and head battered
  • Top box

[Image: IMG_0082.jpg]
(05-08-2018, 07:43 PM)MarkW7 Wrote: Alright ladies, new mount now in hand..

Here's my problems / to do list to get ready for a bash in 2019.
  • Make seating comfy - 200 mile trip back on it and we were both fucked after, back and arse killing. Both kept sliding forward on the seat also.. We had stops as well.
I had a sheepskin seat cover, very kind to your bum.
  • Taller screen - now partially deaf and head battered
You can get a flip up attachment off ebay for peanuts, cheaper option than getting a new screen.

[*]Bar risers - Alleviate pressure on wrist and forearms - not got traditional bars.
Ebay.
[*]Sat nav wiring & mount - Can't mount traditionally due to bars (on a bar clamp).
Ball mount, forget what they are named.... one of the old sage’s in here will help.
[*]Comms for helmet - Couldn't hear pillion
Absolutely hated the verbal pecking I used to get, drove me potty! But a cheap Chinese Bluetooth from ebay should help, a mate got me one and I Bluetooth the old iPhone for music and calls... surprising call and music quality for what is a piece of cheap Chinese shite! My mate said it’s a good piece of kit for peanuts.
[*]Cant see lights on dash / very dim (indications, neutral etc.)
Leave that one with you!
Forgot to say, looks a cracking bike, more details needed!
Ram Mounts for the Sat Nav.

I’d join up to a Trump Forum - probably best place for your issues and all have no doubt been solved.

I’d go with Doc re the comms. keep it to a tap on the shoulder  Laugh
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

That’s the one! Ram mounts. Spot on Bez...
Looks a cracker that Sparky! All very easy problems to fix mate. You’ve basically got a year to solve them. Start with what you consider - your biggest and costliest problem. Then we’ll through them, one by one. Excellent choice of mount by the way. Glad you listened.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Seat wise - try someone like Tony Archer to reshape and add gel inserts.

http://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/

Also CM Seats - I bought a donoar seat for the Pan and he upgraded it.
[/url]
[url=http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/]http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/

OR

Get an AirHawk seat pad together with a sheepskin - cheaper option and it works.

SAT NAV

Not sure what year your bike is but Migsel might do a mount that will sit on top of your dash.

Is it the 900 or 1200 you got?

In Madness You Dwell

can you not Bluetooth the sat nav from your phone into your helmet
 15.July.2018 14hrs 55mins 03seconds 

Nice one Mark, good to see you back on the road.

What year and model is it?

With regards comfort (bar risers, seat etc), I’m surprised you are suffering with the Trophy. I would say that 1 x 200-mike journey is not a lot to get your body used to being on the bike, so I’d definitely suggest holding off any purchases until you’ve a few miles under your bums. 

I have a few bits you could borrow to ‘try before you buy’ to see if it helps though. I have a couple of sheepskins - I personally didn’t feel much benefit from them and they were a bit unpleasant when wet, but some swear by them. I also have an airhawk, just for the rider though - this did relieve pressure but is a strange sensation as it raises you up and you kinda move around when cornering, a bit of time fiddling with the amount of air in it helps though.

If you do go for replacing the seat, then Triumph forums would be a good place to look as well as eBay. Keep an eye on the For Sale section and put up a Wanted post - typically things like these are taken off the bike when they get traded-in or sold and end up hanging around in garages - you’d be doing someone a favour by taking it off their hands  Wink  As Bez mentioned Tony Archer does a decent job for not crazy money, when I got him to put a gel pad in my VFR seat I bought a cheap ripped seat off eBay for him to do, then when I sold the bike it went with the standard seat and I sold the Tony Archer seat for pretty much what it cost me, just something to consider. 

I’ve never done bar risers so can’t comment really.

Have you got a bike Sat Nav? If you haven’t and were thinking of getting one then you may want to look at getting a secure and waterproof phone mount instead - plumb in a power socket and you are sorted. If you were thinking of using a car Sat Nav then you can get cases for them, fresh from China - my experience is that they aren’t always waterproof, the plastic window can get pretty scuffed up, and the mounts are not always reliable so I would always use a tie-wrap as a tether so if it came off the mount then it wouldn’t go bouncing down the road. If you go the phone route then remember non-EU countries are crazy expensive on roaming charges - forgetting to turn data roaming off when popping into Andorra cost us dearly on our Spain trip. 

RAM mounts are pretty robust and come in all sorts of shapes and sizes so can usually be made to fit, post some pics of the dash area then we can see. Again I have a some RAM bits kicking about you could try.

Helmet comms - I have an Interphone headset which works well though I did spring for some upgraded speakers which work well at all speeds, the ones that came with it struggled against wind noise over 50mph, might not be a problem with your barn door of a screen though. I only ever use mine for music, the phone and Nav instructions though but I’d expect the intercom to work as well as the phone. A feature mine has, which an older one didn’t, is voice feedback - push a button and it tells you what mode it’s in and what the controls are - soooo much easier than trying to remember how many presses for music or phone etc, definitely a feature I’d recommend. You may need to establish some ground rules with Jess - you don’t want distracting from the road with a helmet-based domestic, and definitely have a no screaming rule Laugh

The dash lights - do they get brighter when you rev the engine? They could just be old bulbs and never been changed, that’d be the first and cheapest thing to look at.

L
I am Spartacus 
It's a 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. Not a new bike but in excellent condition has been well cared. Mechanically sound just needs a few tweaks. Nothing else was tickling my fancy for riding 2 up at my price point.

As you say Kev, we've got 12 months to get it spot on.

I'll keep a list here so I can refer back.

Make seating comfy
- Sheepskin seat cover
- Someone like Tony Archer to reshape and add gel inserts (http://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats)
- CM Seats (http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk)
- AirHawk seat pad
All the above mentioned on historic searches on the Trump forum also, they also said Corbin seats? They just look pretty expensive.
I did Belgium on the Fazer and honestly it was more comfortable than this Trophy. Like sitting on a rock, kept sliding, couldn't get comfy at all.
@ Lee, thank you. Airhawk sounds dodgy Laugh

Taller screen
- You can get a flip up attachment off eBay for peanuts, cheaper option than getting a new screen.
Good call that Doc, didn't think of that.

Top box
- eBay

Bar risers
- eBay
@ Lee, I can sit straight up but my arms are fully extended and was getting stiff forearms, I've also got a dodgy wrist so think risers will help.

Sat nav wiring & mount
- Ram / ball mount
Could go with using iPhone but like you say data charges might off set its usefulness.
Not sure what year your bike is but Migsel might do a mount that will sit on top of your dash. (Will post pics of the bar area below.)
- Not got a bike sat nav, got a Garmin Nuvi 2508LMT-D (it doesn't have European maps though..) (not sure if there's a way to import them), what I've done before is got one of those cheap cases you mentioned that has it's own ball mount then you just put the sat nav inside it you don't have to mount the sat nav itself. Good idea on a cable tie backup.

Comms for helmet
- We tried the tapping but I have no idea what she's tapping me for. She was also giving directions, wanted me to pull over, slow down etc. Just couldn't hear a word of it. We had that chat, vital comms only..
- Chinese Bluetooth from eBay
The wind noise was crazy at high speeds on this, obviously i'm quite tall and as you can see the screen protected probably my stomach Laugh

Cant see lights on dash / very dim (indications, neutral etc.)
- Don't think they get brighter when you rev the engine. I think they're just the old / original bulbs. On my Chinese bike I replaced the standard ones with LEDs which helped a lot, maybe that's an option here also.

I've joined the Triumph RAT forum they seem to have a bit going on in the Trophy section.

Still got a load of research to do on bits, good to get everybody else s experiences before throwing cash around.

Are these pictures OK?

[Image: IMG_3506.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3508.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3509.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3540.jpg]
Garmin Zumo's come up cheap on evilbay fairly frequently, I've had a Zumo 550 for ten years and it's still better spec than most newer versions, operation is a bit clunky by modern standards, but it does the job.

Ram mounts come in all shapes and sizes, there'll be one setup for you, or if you've got money in the bank the Touratech mounts are good, they no longer make the above clocks version for the Explorer, or I'd have one and wire it in permanently.

SW Motech for bar risers for most Triumphs, as Lee, most accessories come up regularly and cheaply on forums when people sell/ trade in their old bike.

The older models look much more slimline than the newer ones, like fricken barges some of them Big Grin
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
Absolutely bulletproof those early 900 Trumps. Often referred to as the Kawasaki Triumphs.....

When starting up, Bloor hired Kawasaki as consulting engineers, the resulting triple engine is a Kawasaki design..... what’s even more fascinating.... digging back to the late 70’s the big K were developing a 900 triple which was to be fitted in a completely new, way ahead of its time hyper sports bike.... it was the GPz900... the twist of fate was..when this was put to the American arm of Kawasaki, they insisted it should be a 4 cylinder engine....
Therefore they had a 900 triple already on the shelf....which they sold to Bloor... the rest is history!

As you can tell.... I am a big K fan... they are indestructible.
The stator and rectifiers are known to be a tad weak/ troublesome on this age of trumps so dim light could be that..... also older connections may just need a good clean and spray of contact cleaner..... descent looking bike....I have a 30l Givi but branded Kwak monolock topbox with plate you can have if it’s any use just chuck a donation in the charity pot
My real name is Dave 
I’d have thought if the reg/rec was going then the lights would improve with increased revs - try replacing the bulbs and go from there. 

The plastic around the cockpit is probably hiding lots of places to fix a RAM mount, but there’ll be something that works, will just need exploring. 

Forgot about the top box, if you can get a Givi (or Kappa) Monokey rack fitted I have a Givi E52 Maxia box you’d be welcome to use.
I am Spartacus 
For the Ram mount....

Look under the clutch master cylinder GROMMIT. May be threaded....
Linky re mounting a Sat Nav ( on phone so might not work!)

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/tr...umph-35790

In Madness You Dwell

The bulbs is a common complaint, there is an LED replacement option just need to find out how to get the instrument cluster off and what LED bulbs I need. Work in progress on this one..

Top box wise I've ordered a 52L off eBay, it's just generic but comes with a mounting bracket itself. Only £25 so will have to see what it's like when it arrives..

I should know this but will need to look at them .. Is the clutch master cylinder on the left, is that where is attached below?

Cheers Bezly, I think his last pic would be the best setup. Will take the cover off on mine and see what I can connect on to it. It that fails I will screw through the screen at the bottom and attach a mount to that.. Will keep it out of the rain there to.

[Image: Rammount.jpg]
(05-08-2018, 10:56 PM)Badboybez Wrote: Also CM Seats - I bought a donoar seat for the Pan and he upgraded it.
http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/

Did it turn out alright / comfier for you? Got a price off him, not cheap but if it works then it may be a goer. The price of airhawks for rider and pillion plus sheepskin probably looking same price.

Also has anybody used Tony Archer? Not got a price yet but that's an option also. Mixed reviews online.
(08-08-2018, 01:42 PM)MarkW7 Wrote: Also has anybody used Tony Archer? Not got a price yet but that's an option also. Mixed reviews online.

Yeah, he recovered and put a gel insert in my VFR800 seat - seemed alright to me.
I am Spartacus 
(08-08-2018, 01:42 PM)MarkW7 Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 10:56 PM)Badboybez Wrote: Also CM Seats - I bought a donoar seat for the Pan and he upgraded it.
http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/

Did it turn out alright / comfier for you? Got a price off him, not cheap but if it works then it may be a goer. The price of airhawks for rider and pillion plus sheepskin probably looking same price.

Also has anybody used Tony Archer? Not got a price yet but that's an option also. Mixed reviews online.
Yes a lot comfier and a keeper - and as Lee did sold it separately when the Pan went and didn’t lose much on it.

In Madness You Dwell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2016 Triumph Bonneville lbk 22 2,956 20-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Last Post: DrMarten
  Triumph Explorer Woes Badboybez 98 14,658 17-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Lefty
  yes please. new triumph daytona super III. Muttley 3 669 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Man C Rider
  Triumph Explorer xandyx1 239 26,952 16-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Last Post: anthony1664