Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW Service
Having heard all your tales of servicing from Williams.... yesterday I had to take mine for it’s 1st 12 month service and to say I was in a mild state of trepidation was an understatement. Also I had to ride most of the way in torrential rain.... that was the final nail in life’s shit sandwich!

Complimentary coffee.... I could see that adding at least another tenner on the bill Laugh, I thought, fuck it, may as well drink and eat as much as I could... they were showing Mamma Mia2, that set me on edge for two reasons.... 
1. Psychology.... play neutral music and tame the wild beast before slapping it with the inevitable...
2. The service staff.... were suspiciously singing and whistling to it....
Basically I felt trapped, ready for trousers down, six of the best...

..... Hi, DrMarten....? Bollocks!, I thought, here we go, look brave, show no fear...

Like a teacher sat behind their desk, you standing to attention....whilst they dissect what they’ve found.
The list started....
And then the total .... £168.54

I’m stood there, staring quite hard at said service bloke.... I’m sure he thought I was about to have a hissy fit.... but I was expecting a damn sight more. When I gained the power of speech again, i handed my card over, paid.... still trying to comprehend this charge as against the near £200 for the Monkey.

They had even checked the tyre pressures, which I got a mild scolding for not doing.

To be fair, they did say as the mileage was under 3k....there wasn’t much for them to do.... proof was they only charged for 45 mins labour....£56.

So... oil and filter, sump plug washer and brake and clutch fluid change and a full reset.
Illigitimi non carborundum.
Result! They’ll get you next time old beam. They always do. Booked mine in for week after next at Adventure bike wharehouse.I told them, I want the full hit, Drive shaft oil etc. £225. Can’t apple at that. He doesn’t have a mechanic there full time now. They only carry out services on a Wednesdays. I think Gaz is taking his business down a different route, but doing services and repairs for his core loyal customers. He’s never let me down yet, so I’ll be sticking With him.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Good news that Doc. 

Shame that ABW are winding down the servicing, I was planning to use them next time.
I am Spartacus 
Kev, are they going more internet sales and tours?

As for servicing, indeed, they will catch me at some point.... Chester seem so relaxed compared with the sniffy attitude Williams have.
Yeah, It looks like he’s going more that way mate. Still keeping his hand in though.
so what we saying lad's , abw , not servicing any more .. tell me iv'e not got to go back to williams with my tale between leg's . Dodgy
" i'll get my coat... "
No mate, they are still serving.
are right , i will check it ooott..., mines due in a couple of months ...!!!  Confused
" i'll get my coat... "
Hoping to hold out till the winter discount rates at Staffs Triumph, mine's coming up to 17,000miles now and I believe it's a biggy at 20,000 Confused
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
(28-08-2018, 12:32 PM)Dilbert Wrote: Hoping to hold out till the winter discount rates at Staffs Triumph, mine's coming up to 17,000miles now and I believe it's a biggy at 20,000 Confused

Yep the 20k was a £680 job at Youles luckily I still had a voucher in the can .... the 30k was nearly £300 dab s ain’t looking forward to the 40k that’s looming all too soon ! Reckon I am looking at £1000 i was told it needed a rear disc last services  but I have soildered on .... still  got an odd front brake pulse at slow speed & fear new discs there are needed too
My real name is Dave 
40k? Dave, that’s not bad needing discs in reality... remember, you probably are doing 5 times the mileage we do a year.

Plus labour to change them shouldn’t rack the bill up drastically, or is it time to hack the old one in...before the service?
DrMarten Wrote:40k? Dave, that’s not bad needing discs in reality... remember, you probably are doing 5 times the mileage we do a year.

Plus labour to change them shouldn’t rack the bill up drastically, or is it time to hack the old one in...before the service?

5 times? Are you sure Doc  Laugh

It's not hard to change disks Dave, if you can be arsed to pull the wheels out and get muck under your fingernails.
I am Spartacus 
I wasn’t pointing fingers.... but we do have Some people who haven’t used a bike much....and may be sensitive about the subject.
(31-08-2018, 06:45 AM)DrMarten Wrote: 40k? Dave, that’s not bad needing discs in reality... remember, you probably are doing 5 times the mileage we do a year.

Not anymore now I don’t have a 50mile a day commute so miles will go down
My real name is Dave 
(31-08-2018, 10:48 AM)Ledwardio Wrote: It's not hard to change disks Dave, if you can be arsed to pull the wheels out and get muck under your fingernails.

No issue getting stuck in to do them just can believe how expensive the parts are! How can I get car discs for £30 yet I have to splash over £200 for bike ones !
My real name is Dave 
(31-08-2018, 07:44 PM)anthony1664 Wrote: No issue getting stuck in to do them just can believe how expensive the parts are! How can I get car discs for £30 yet I have to splash over £200 for bike ones !

Yeah it’s definitely out of whack isn’t it.
I am Spartacus 
Spot on Lee, the price of the oil filter for the BMW was almost the same as the Kawasaki one bar a few pence.... yep! The Big K was more...

To be fair, the car discs are cast, bike ones are pressed or cut, mounting up the cost markedly.

And I’ll bet all are made in China...then given the EU wack on top.
Hum maybe more work and yes less market however £30 vs £200+ ..... in my view an unacceptable mark up margin that is often the case with lots of bike stuff...... don’t get me started on the rip off panniers and topboxes are for in effect plastic or metal tubs !!!!
My real name is Dave 
Crikey! Tell me about it. BMW prices for luggage is past rip off levels.... I know of some removing the BM luggage mounts and fitting the likes of Givi and saving a fortune.
Doubt I’ll be using my bike for touring nowadays....
Don't forget bar risers, £110 for 2 pieces of metal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MSX Service DrMarten 6 240 13-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: DrMarten
  Arai dealer service DrMarten 2 245 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Last Post: lbk
  Bikes due it's service. Oofff! lbk 29 2,883 24-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: lbk
  BTS MOBILE TYRE SERVICE xandyx1 3 638 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: xandyx1