Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cost of a pedal bike
So here I sit, contemplating my fate by purchasing something akin to the Devil’s spawn.

The usual way into this market is Google, and Halfords... initially, I thought..... robbing bastards. £400 for anything half decent, so I then clicked Evans Cycles.... should be Good H’ Evans..... Jesus! £4,500 for a piece of shite you have to sweat your bollocks off to make it move forward.... FUCK THAT.

So... with no local cycle shops anymore, unless you are lucky enough to live in the leafy lanes of the Cheshire Golden Triangle, or are OxBridge hooray Henry’s sloaning it around campus..... how and where do you purchase these confounded contraptions without feeling ripped off?

What set out to be a small look and purchase is turning out to be as complex as ordering a designer coffee.
I'm sure our resident fitness junkie will recomend something - jeez you'll be in lycra next and talking about the benefits of cleats.

Watch them potholes!
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Save your money Doc. I have a road bike(racer) to you and me, and a mountain bike. Both made to measure for me, so either would be ideal size for you. Take one of them for as long as you need it and see how you get on with it.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Generosity abounds! You are a true gentleman.
Some of the prices are a bit incredible aren’t they. 

You could do with finding an independent store that can give no nonsense advice, is there nothing near you? We’ve got quite a few around here.
I am Spartacus 
Sadly not Lee, the last Indy went bump a couple or so years ago siting Halfords as selling cheap bikes...some poetry in that.

I’m forgetting the last time I bought a bike was  20 years ago and that cost £100ish... so perhaps I need to remember it’s the 21st century now.
Don't bother with the Halfords or Evans bike retailers, they do have bikes you can pick up for £300 / £500 but its the lower end components, what is it you are looking for, my advice is Decathlon for new good range good value good mechanics 

The bike i have been using and will use on Ironman is a secondhand Cannondale cost me £250 its about 5 years old but in excellent condition i have spent about £75 on new parts and upgrades but i wouldn't get any more out of a £10k bike, its the same as motorbike world stick Seth or Barker on a £1500 CBR 600 and your average power ranger on a new S1000rr and they will leave them for dead, its about the rider, best value is quality secondhand someone who dropped £3k 4 years ago will be selling for £250 now 

Road Bike (Racer in old money) light weight, use on roads, thin tyres, thin seat, built for speed eg sports bike
Mountain bike (in reality unless you are genuinely looking to do mountains don't bother) heavy, on or off road but better off (dirt and gravel) thick tyres, thicker seat, built to climb steep gradients and come down them eg crosser
Hybrid Bike (best of the two above) flat bars, light weight, can go on road or gravel path, tyres in-between the above, reasonable seat (you can always aftermarket the seat but best advice is by padded shorts) eg GS 

the question is what do you want to do with the bike enjoy a few hours on a coastal path or back road with out to much gradient then the Hybrid every time, 

just a thought one Mr Keith Oggy Ogden has all his gear and a tidy bike (well did have) available, he did a long  Confused well long for Oggy ride and then packed it in might be worth giving him a shout
 15.July.2018 14hrs 55mins 03seconds 

Really useful information Chris, thank you.

I had looked at hybrid bikes but it didn’t seem much different than a usual mountain bike.

I’ll report back later....
I’d avoid something with suspension - adds weight and saps the power that you squeeze out of your legs  Wink
I am Spartacus 
I have a  cannondale road bike - racer(old money) more than happy for you to put flat bars and  a bigger seat, if it saves you shed loads of money. Seriously! Have a look at them and see what you think. Happy for you to make changes to the road bike, but the mountain bike will have to stay as it is. There’s if you want them  sweet cheeks.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Where do you want to ride is it just local hops on flat road for some exercise and enjoyment, if that’s what you are looking for then a flat bar aluminium bike with a good mid rang group set is what you are after, Kev’s Bike with flat bars is ideal but a bit of work and cost to convert, you can get seats with more comfort but padded shorts are better

As Lee points out forget suspension, size and fit are key you see people on the wrong size Bike or the Bike completely set wrong, all that happens is your effort is lost some simple points around seat height and angle, leg position and bar height will make significant improvements
 15.July.2018 14hrs 55mins 03seconds 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fact Charity bike ride. lbk 31 2,774 20-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Ledwardio