Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learner drivers on motorways
From Monday 4 June 2018, learner drivers will be able to take driving lessons on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales.

This will help to make sure more drivers know how to use motorways safely.
At the moment, you can only have motorway lessons after you’ve passed your driving test. Some newly-qualified drivers take lessons through the voluntary Pass Plus scheme.

How the change will work
Learner drivers will need to be:
  • accompanied by an approved driving instructor
  • driving a car fitted with dual controls

Any motorways lessons will be voluntary. It will be up to the driving instructor to decide when the learner driver is competent enough for them.

The change only applies to learner drivers of cars. Learner motorcyclists won’t be allowed on motorways.
Trainee driving instructors won’t be allowed to take learner drivers on the motorway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/learn...-from-2018
Should be compulsory for every learner to go on motorways, just so they know what to do. I remember when I first drive on a motorway.......Feck me, I shit myself. I was all over the shop Laugh It was bloody frightening! It's a good thing imo.
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
Hopefully they’ll learn what the left lane is for.
I am Spartacus 
Had a guy the other day in front of me merging on to the motorway slam on because he mistimed merging on, with a lorry in the left lane. Looked in my mirror he's just say there at the end of the slip with his hazards on, obviously a bit of poo came out Laugh Laugh  twat
Laugh Definitely got to have your wits about you on the motorway. Some right twats about.
No real axe to grind with this.

As with all things being equal, there are good instructors out there and some poor ones. The good ones will take pupils when the traffic is light... the poor ones at rush hour... you know the way it goes!

I do believe our driver training is piss poor compared to the likes of the German model. A pupil has a minimum of 12 months training in which they have to experience and complete driving in varying environments.

The roads are now way too overcrowded to simply have a basic knowledge without some experience.
Illigitimi non carborundum.
Tbh, I think I prefer the current Pass Plus system, learners can go on multi-lane dual carriageways to learn lane discipline, personally I think they shouldn't be allowed on any main roads until they know how junctions work and can drive over 20mph Confused

I'm in danger of agreeing with Doc again though, so I'll go and have a lie down instead Big Grin
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
teach them to do more than 18 mph in town and learn how to cross junctions first ffs

motorways under instruction for certain time  only after youve passed

edit dilbert ya git Big Grin
will ride for food............belfast  for brekky or ypres for a wafel - oh yes
most of the motorways i use are slower than town centre might as well make it part of the parking section  Laugh

Laugh
True!

Driving isn’t a pleasure anymore it’s a tedious drag.

It’s easier learning to fly and survive your first 12 months solo than 12 months inner city driving.
Illigitimi non carborundum.
My cousin learnt to fly as a kid 18 ish and didn't do his driving test till he was 55, he had a part ownership in a light aircraft he would fly all over

(05-06-2018, 10:04 AM)Buffalo Wrote: My cousin learnt to fly as a kid 18 ish and didn't do his driving test till he was 55, he had a part ownership in a light aircraft he would fly all over

My wife had a lesson(ish) in a light aircraft from a friend who teaches out of Barton Airfield as a thank you for helping out with house decorating and gardening, Barton to Blackpool, up past the tower and back again in less than an hour, or half the time it would take up the motorways in a car  Big Grin
He lived in Edinburgh and was a big Liverpool fan he would fly to the games home and away and European matches, he took passengers to off set the cost nice little number

Is it not a long walk from the plane park when you pop to Asda for a pint of milk  Laugh
My real name is Dave 
Is it not a long walk from the motorway when you pop out to Asda for a pint of milk Laugh

And what's this getting nasty homogenised crap from Asda Dodgy