Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KTM 790 Duke
Took one of these little fellas out today and I gotta say it’s an impressive bundle of fun. Cool

[Image: IMG_1097.JPG]

Very light and nimble with plenty of poke.

The up n down quickshifter was a treat - got to admit I was a bit nervous for the downshifts but they worked fine without feeling like you were abusing the gearbox.

Very comfortable seating position and leg ergonomics, especially having just got off the Blade.

I was concerned that wind blast might be an issue, and while you can feel pressure on your chest and shoulders from 70 it didn’t feel like a wrestling match. I went up to about 85 and it felt fine.

Ran it in Sport mode at first but the throttle seemed really choppy even when motoring on, but the Street mode was nicer and didn’t seem less powerful. There is a Track mode where you can customise it so maybe a compromise can be found.

Like Kev I’m tempted.com, especially as it can be essentially free for a year with PCP!

The only big downside today? Fecking swarms of greenfly - I got pasted on the Duke and the Blade:

[Image: IMG_1098.JPG]
I am Spartacus 
looks tidy defo one our Kieran would go for whats it like for popping the odd "wheelie" looks made for it, to be fair he had the Blackbird on the back wheel often enough  Laugh
April 8th 2018
June 3rd 2018
July 15th 2018

Wheelies are not my thang so I didn’t but I think it would easily. It has anti-wheelie in the traction control but it can be turned off in the Track mode settings. He should definitely take one for a test ride.
I am Spartacus 
(12-05-2018, 03:46 PM)Ledwardio Wrote: Took one of these little fellas out today and I gotta say it’s an impressive bundle of fun.  Cool

[Image: IMG_1097.JPG]

Very light and nimble with plenty of poke.

The up n down quickshifter was a treat - got to admit I was a bit nervous for the downshifts but they worked fine without feeling like you were abusing the gearbox.

Very comfortable seating position and leg ergonomics, especially having just got off the Blade.

I was concerned that wind blast might be an issue, and while you can feel pressure on your chest and shoulders from 70 it didn’t feel like a wrestling match. I went up to about 85 and it felt fine.

Ran it in Sport mode at first but the throttle seemed really choppy even when motoring on, but the Street mode was nicer and didn’t seem less powerful. There is a Track mode where you can customise it so maybe a compromise can be found.

Like Kev I’m tempted.com, especially as it can be essentially free for a year with PCP!

The only big downside today? Fecking swarms of greenfly - I got pasted on the Duke and the Blade:

[Image: IMG_1098.JPG]

I dropped off the MSX at Colwyn today at just after 9.... the 790 was just being warmed up for the test rides, it was booked out all day, they are flying off the shelves when the dealers can get them. 

As for Insecto man.... You could’ve tried taking yourself and the bike to a car wash....
Looking at that Lee, I would have said it was not very ergonomically right for a guy of your height. Never used a quick shifter myself is dead easy to get your head around then? Looks a lovely bike but I’m not sure it’d suit me. Being exposed to the full head wind on my chest neck, my wrists would last 30mins tops.
I have control - standby standby
I had a huge issue with wind blast on the speed triple R, it's wrecked my neck fighting the head wobble.
I am Weasel. Hmm, toasty warm hands................. I love my smashing heated grips O'shagnasty.
[Image: 84UXVnH0.jpg]
It really doesn’t hit that hard - the headlight unit seems to do a decent job of pushing the wind away, probably even better with a little screen. It was a concern but I was surprised. 

Not sure what you mean about the ergonomics Kev, it felt quite comfortable to me, the ankle, bum, handlebar triangle was comfortable. 

Quickshifting up is pretty straightforward - just boot it up, no backing off the throttle or touching the clutch. What this bike does well is blipping on downshifts too - mechanical sympathy says not to but honestly you can just boot it down and it snicks in. You really only need the clutch lever when setting off or stopping.
I am Spartacus 
Got to say.... Gear Shift Assist as it’s known on BMW gets a huge thumbs up here.  It goes against the grain from what you’ve known about clutchless changes on a manual bike...just let the tech take over and do it’s thing.
I’ve clutchless changed up for years so that’s not a problem, in fact it’s hard not to dip the throttle by habit (which salesman said not to do with the quickshifter, just keep the throttle open), but the downshift was unnatural at first and I expected big crunching, but it was smooth as. I see a problem in having one bike without it and one without though - I’m bound to just hammer the Adventure gears in  Laugh
I am Spartacus 
True.

I’ve found on the RS that if you just roll back the gas as you’re going up, there’s a silky smoothness to it rather than the barp, barp, barp mularky that the sports bike johnnies love.

One other thing on fly by wire.... if you have cruise, rather than switching off.... or clutch or brake use.... roll the throttle FORWARD past the idle, it initiates a soft disconnection.
Rolling off the throttle is just clutchless changing - the quickshifter kills the throttle briefly which is the same thing really. 

What the KTM fella was saying was that if you back off the throttle with the quickshifter then the gear can bounce out. Not sure I see why, and never encountered it, but They must have encountered it.
I am Spartacus 
Nooo.

Cruise control ON... to smooth disengage on the BM.... you roll the throttle forward and this gives a seamless disconnect.

As for rolling throttle forward on BM.... I just can’t get it past my engineers mind that a powered clutchless change will end in a huge pile of metal dwarf! Technology apart!
I wasn’t talking cruise control - I don’t have it
I am Spartacus 
Angel

I was only trying to use it in relative terms...

Anyways....

Nice day out there!
I’ve always changed up without using the clutch. Never done anything different, never changed down without a clutch. I rarely use the clutch changing up in the van tbh. I reckon I’d get on with a quick shifter. 

Ergonomics! I thought it might have been a tad uncomfortable for you - in the leg department. Looks quite small in that picture.
(13-05-2018, 12:28 PM)DrMarten Wrote: Angel

I was only trying to use it in relative terms...

Anyways....

Nice day out there!

Chill ya beans, I wasn;t picking  Wink
I am Spartacus 
(13-05-2018, 03:01 PM)lbk Wrote: I’ve always changed up without using the clutch. Never done anything different, never changed down without a clutch. I rarely use the clutch changing up in the van tbh. I reckon I’d get on with a quick shifter. 

Ergonomics! I thought it might have been a tad uncomfortable for you - in the leg department. Looks quite small in that picture.

It's not too bad in reality - seat height is about 825mm - Docs Z900 is about 780mm for example. It didn't feel cramped though there is a 20mm taller seat option which I might be tempted with.
I am Spartacus 
So are you angling to chop in one of your bikes and purchase that little beauty then? Or have you got to get round the boss first? 

Does your KTM not tick all your boxes then?
That 790 does tick my boxes too...

You should try a test ride Kev...
(13-05-2018, 06:35 PM)lbk Wrote: So are you angling to chop in one of your bikes and purchase that little beauty then? Or have you got to get round the boss first? 

Does your KTM not tick all your boxes then?

The Adventure is great for the distance stuff but I was fancying something smaller and lighter that I could just jump on and have a quick spin out on - I kinda thought the Blade might do that but it takes a bit of focus and begs to go faster and faster, not ideal in our Safety Camera culture.

The sensible option is just to run the Adventure, hmmm sensible, sounds exciting  Laugh
I am Spartacus