Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 fatalities in 5 days this week.....
What a way to start a topic? 

But just in case you are tempted to venture over the border...... the police are stamping down, very hard..... by public demand!

I know we are all old enough, but it’s always worth a reminder to just becareful out there.

First death last weekend.... motorcycle v tractor near Porthmadog.

Thursday, near Denbigh, 4 bikes and the riders from Germany, one of the group, man and wife went head on into a car.

Saturday, again in Denbigh, 2 young people in a car....

The Police have stated it’s a zero tolerance now.... sounds to me heavy handed, but for two days, the main arterial roads have been closed for 24 hours with the usual distruption. 

So...

North Wales Police are doing away with the Arrive Alive speed camera vans... the ones that look like tourist information vans...
Now, they have a new fleet which look just the same as Police patrol vans... no indication on them at all.

Average speed cameras are now on most of the popular biking roads....these 2 are high risk...
A5 Corwen
Denbigh Moors to Evo Triangle...
I'm not saying its sad that these accidents happen, but they can and do still happen at under the speed limit - typical bollocks reaction by the cops but I suppose its the only enemy they've got – they don't seem to to want to put any effort into educating or training anyone.
I am Spartacus 
April is always the same, I think the education and training cuts both ways 

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/04/21/...e-outside/
April 8th 2018
June 3rd 2018
July 15th 2018

To be honest even by my standards, it’s a knee jerk reaction.

However.... I do not wish to be accused by other members on here of being anti biking.... or Welsh....

But even I’m sick of hearing Waaaaaarp, burrrrp, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaarp .... ie, bikers riding like utter cunts. Indulging wantonly in the desire to ignore the law, albeit it by exceeding to speed limit by 10mph or has been proved recently 118mph... yep. 148mph in a 30mph area. Now even I can shy away from the 10mph over the limit... but 118? 

There has to be discreation .... but at what point do we say what’s acceptable? 

When the neighbours see me getting the bike out... they come over and ask me to be careful! And this is my point...
People see bikes as inherently dangerous....then add a rider who treats roads the public use as a racetrack and bikers are demonised.

To your other point.... and good news!

To be fair.... North Wales Police, Cheshire and Merseyside are flat out with Bike Safe, First On Scene. IAM are the same and a couple of other schemes. They all meet in Denbigh for refreshment...

But sadly, the ones who are riding like twats, are the ones who wouldn’t be seen dead on a skills course....

I’ll be so controversial as to say I’m a pretty competent rider... but as I’m aging! I’m feeling the need to go on a refresher because I may be getting less mentally agile...... I’ll let you lot take the piss if you wish at that!
Indeed. Shoddy journalism that. Though there is some truth that people come out on the bikes unprepared, likewise other road users are not mentally prepared to start interacting with bikes again though the sun shining should be a clue to as to what to expect on the road.

I do find it frustrating that, for example, the motorcycle v tractor Martin mentioned is assumed that the bike was speeding and at fault, rather than the tractor pulled out without really looking (or caring). I wasn't there so I don't know, but the assumption always seems to fail against us.

Having been out for a ride on Saturday the amount of pelatons of cyclists was annoying, and again frustrating the assumption is always that the cyclist is never at fault.
I am Spartacus 
Totally agree Martin, there are many idiots on bikes who do nothing but tarnish our image. And further training is far from what they will consider.

I too am planning a refreshing my training, you'll get no piss take from me for that.
I am Spartacus 
Add another bike v car.... Saturday, Near Bethesda, Rider airlifted to Stoke with life threatening injuries just in on local news.

So sad to hear.

As for MAMILS..... but I’m seeing a few ladies in Lycra....my attitude is changing. Plus they seem a lot more polite than MAMILS. Rolleyes
(23-04-2018, 10:56 AM)Ledwardio Wrote: Indeed. Shoddy journalism that. Though there is some truth that people come out on the bikes unprepared, likewise other road users are not mentally prepared to start interacting with bikes again though the sun shining should be a clue to as to what to expect on the road.

I do find it frustrating that, for example, the motorcycle v tractor Martin mentioned is assumed that the bike was speeding and at fault, rather than the tractor pulled out without really looking (or caring). I wasn't there so I don't know, but the assumption always seems to fail against us.

Having been out for a ride on Saturday the amount of pelatons of cyclists was annoying, and again frustrating the assumption is always that the cyclist is never at fault.

The trick is to be sensible when cycling in groups, the highway code and law has no issue with cyclists riding in groups of two all perfectly legal, I did read some UK Gov data on motorcycle deaths which indicated the majority were due to inapproriate speed and poor riding, not that it covers all events but a significant number are down to the biker.

(23-04-2018, 11:04 AM)DrMarten Wrote: Add another bike v car.... Saturday, Near Bethesda, Rider airlifted to Stoke with life threatening injuries just in on local news.

So sad to hear.

As for MAMILS..... but I’m seeing a few ladies in Lycra....my attitude is changing. Plus they seem a lot more polite than MAMILS. Rolleyes

That's not far from the truth actually you get plenty of blokes who say hello just like motorbike world a few don't but most ladies on bikes are very friendly and always let on, i would say a good 30 to 40% are female out cycling these days 

take it easy people lets look after each other  Heart
April 8th 2018
June 3rd 2018
July 15th 2018

I'm interested in rider training as well just to hone my skills  Rolleyes I think I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas on which one ?
Somewhere on the way back from Hereford, on unfamiliar roads I spotted a couple of speed cameras up on big poles, so they could get you miles ahead, not sure if they were working both ways, but could have been set up to catch bikes rear plate ?

I try to keep to the limit in 30-40mph limits, living in a large village just off the M6 we get a lot of speeding traffic and have had a few fatalities over the years, so plod have upped the anti in recent months and cops (or PCSO's) with radar guns are getting more regularly seen out and about, we also get to see far too many emergency vehicles heading to/ from the M6 and Air Ambulance/ Police helicopters.

Whilst I can heartily recommend the medical treatment at Royal Stoke Major Trauma Centre from personal experience, watching the Air Ambulance land most days from Ward 265 should not be on your things to do list.

I thought the Rochdale Herald article was quite good, getting a point over by satirising is what they do best Cool  

And yes, the nurses do still refer to us as organ donors Confused
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
(23-04-2018, 10:56 AM)Ledwardio Wrote: I do find it frustrating that, for example, the motorcycle v tractor Martin mentioned is assumed that the bike was speeding and at fault, rather than the tractor pulled out without really looking (or caring). I wasn't there so I don't know, but the assumption always seems to fail against us.

I once went down a narrow lane and was confronted by a tractor rounding a blind bend with a bailing hook (long pointy spike) at head height, most are Ok, but far too many are more focussed on getting back to the field to pick more spuds than what's going on around them, wide berth at all times.

We get a lot of "organised" road races down the A50 from Knutsford to Holmes Chapel, some seem to think it's an extension of Manchester Velodrome and that cars should just go a different way and leave the road to them Dodgy
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
(23-04-2018, 12:23 PM)C4lvg Wrote: I'm interested in rider training as well just to hone my skills  Rolleyes I think I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas on which one ?

I heartily recommend i2i (https://www.i2imca.com/)

They really help you to understand what the bike wants to do, what it can do, and dispel a lot of the myths about what will happen in certain scenarios. I've done all their courses over the years but I'll be going again.

IAM too (https://www.iamroadsmart.com/)

Good real-world training and helps a lot with road positioning and visibility etc. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any extra training to be honest.
I am Spartacus 
(23-04-2018, 12:51 PM)Dilbert Wrote: We get a lot of "organised" road races down the A50 from Knutsford to Holmes Chapel, some seem to think it's an extension of Manchester Velodrome and that cars should just go a different way and leave the road to them Dodgy

Many of the roads I was riding on Saturday are in the Tour de Yorkshire in a couple of weeks so obviously everyone is out on them, luckily I'll be riding around Wales that weekend Laugh Slowly, of course
I am Spartacus 
(23-04-2018, 01:22 PM)Ledwardio Wrote:
(23-04-2018, 12:51 PM)Dilbert Wrote: We get a lot of "organised" road races down the A50 from Knutsford to Holmes Chapel, some seem to think it's an extension of Manchester Velodrome and that cars should just go a different way and leave the road to them Dodgy

Many of the roads I was riding on Saturday are in the Tour de Yorkshire in a couple of weeks so obviously everyone is out on them, luckily I'll be riding around Wales that weekend  Laugh  Slowly, of course

Really?

We need to chat at the plop do...

Be nice to meet up.
(23-04-2018, 01:33 PM)DrMarten Wrote: Really?

Be nice to meet up.

Welsh National Rally - have just put the map on the thread Wink
I am Spartacus 
Me and a couple of others were held up by a load of bikers the other week (well for a few miles anyway Laugh )  must have been a good 40 or 50 on a mix of bikes but predominately cruisers, looked like they were on some "egg run" type day out given a few were dressed as chickens, on the up side my starva segment was fecking mint happily sat drafting them as they were doing 25 / 30 and then fecked off and left them on the down hill gradient
April 8th 2018
June 3rd 2018
July 15th 2018

(23-04-2018, 01:38 PM)Ledwardio Wrote:
(23-04-2018, 01:33 PM)DrMarten Wrote: Really?

Be nice to meet up.

Welsh National Rally - have just put the map on the thread  Wink

Just had a read of it, rather you than me! There are some testing roads there for you.

We will chat whilst on the plop.
(23-04-2018, 02:17 PM)DrMarten Wrote: Just had a read of it, rather you than me! There are some testing roads there for you.

We will chat whilst on the plop.

Indeed we will, bike talk too Wink
I am Spartacus 
(23-04-2018, 01:18 PM)Ledwardio Wrote:
(23-04-2018, 12:23 PM)C4lvg Wrote: I'm interested in rider training as well just to hone my skills  Rolleyes I think I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas on which one ?

I heartily recommend i2i (https://www.i2imca.com/)

They really help you to understand what the bike wants to do, what it can do, and dispel a lot of the myths about what will happen in certain scenarios. I've done all their courses over the years but I'll be going again.

IAM too (https://www.iamroadsmart.com/)

Good real-world training and helps a lot with road positioning and visibility etc. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any extra training to be honest.

Thanks for that just got a phone call from IAM Rochdale and bury advanced motorists, had a chat with 1 of the guy's there and I'm going to start the course very soon  Big Grin
(23-04-2018, 05:37 PM)C4lvg Wrote: Thanks for that just got a phone call from IAM Rochdale and bury advanced motorists, had a chat with 1 of the guy's there and I'm going to start the course very soon  Big Grin

Nice one Cool
I am Spartacus 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation National Motorcycle Week of Action.... DrMarten 10 576 27-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Last Post: DrMarten
  64 phone calls in one week... Badboybez 61 3,263 10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Last Post: lbk
  Ride to Work Week..... DrMarten 16 911 02-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Buffalo
  The last week in hell.... DrMarten 17 1,342 19-12-2015, 12:42 AM
Last Post: lbk