Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Bikes
Now calm down...!

Reading Bike mag for October, they have tried the Energica Eva. Made by a highly respected Italian manufacturer, not well known for bikes....as they've had some failures. Remember the Iilmor 800 MotoGP bike?

Anyways, the reckon it's as good as a z800 Kawasaki. I'll park my thoughts then...

They say it handles like a 1984 FJ1200.....

The cruncher is 280kgs....but it does have a reverse gear. 

As with all mags... they have a wry way of hooking you then spinning the story around. To refill the bike, 10 hours at 10 amps.... their maths show that's 1 kWh x 10 @ 13p/kWh = £1.30. This will get you between 60-70 miles whilst riding within the limits of the Queens Highway. However, thrash it...and you'll be empty at 30-40 miles.

But, it's early days for this tech, or is it??

Electric cars were around in the 1890's along with steam and petrol. Petrol won as we know, and here is what I see is the crux of any new fuel....
Petrol is.... openly available, as it was in 1900, just go to a chemist on most street corners until petrol was available from a garage.
It was clean, easy to top up and instant.
Coal was easily available as was water... but to refuel was a dirty business and it took an age to get steam, then clean the boilers after use...suppose that's what servants were for.
Electricity..... Hmm....
Then it was a new technology.... rare to find, almost impossible to recharge and took an age to do so. However, the vehicles were basically good, clean and efficient.... 

So then.....after nearly 130 years ..... we still have the same issues, no where to recharge, still very limited range.... weight still a big issue. We haven't moved on one iota.

When it comes to hey, lads, hey.... the interesting point that make, and it got my metaphorical snout twitching....
Bikers. The interest the bike generated (sorry! Rolleyes) was genuine..... How fast? Angel

For the rest of the story..... Bike mag... October 17 !
So, that was 2017....
Don't forget the massive hike in tax for electric once this becomes a major factor in new cars and bikes - can't see them sticking with a 5% VAT charge on electric staying!

Separate bills if you have electric vehicles maybe?

Up your street Doc?
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Electric is the way forward fossil fuel is heading towards the end of its tenure, the power from the grid is now 50% renewable within a few years charging will be common weight will drop, think about mobile phones from 10 / 15 years ago they were like a brick they are now almost credit card size.

we are in the twilight of the combustion engine, it will be about as relevant as narrow boats and horses to us now.
All that it takes is all that you`ve got 

Can not get my head around a world without a combustion engine.
I have control - standby standby
that's the thing kev we are around for such a short time its all relative, the horse powered travel for about 5000 years not bad when you think the combustion engine will do well to last 200  Confused

50 years ago could you get your head round a world where you run your life from a pocket size plastic device. 

the world is amazing full of surprises, its relentless and constant change just 70 years ago would space travel even be considered its common place, 25 years ago AIDS was going to spread across the world its now controlled to the point people live normal lives, we are electronically connected in everything we do work, home, leisure

God almighty who would have ever seen a bloke called Lefty working at Manchester Uni give it 5 years he will probably be the fecking Dean

(18-09-2017, 07:31 AM)Buffalo Wrote: God almighty who would have ever seen a bloke called Lefty working at Manchester Uni give it 5 years he will probably be the fecking Dean

Laugh Laugh

Priceless.
So, that was 2017....
Laugh Laugh Laugh
Cops had one of these out for the footie apparently 

http://imgbox.com/bzpUbLmp
A bit of a more balanced viewpoint, even by BBC standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41268513
So, that was 2017....
(17-09-2017, 06:08 PM)Buffalo Wrote: Electric is the way forward fossil fuel is heading towards the end of its tenure, the power from the grid is now 50% renewable within a few years charging will be common weight will drop, think about mobile phones from 10 / 15 years ago they were like a brick they are now almost credit card size.

we are in the twilight of the combustion engine, it will be about as relevant as narrow boats and horses to us now.

Power from renewables is around 20-25% on a regular basis, articles about renewable energy exceeding 50% are bollocks and based on "one day an of-shore wind farm produced enough energy to power a row of forty houses for ten minutes".

I don't think it will be long before it truly is the leader, for the time being reducing dependency on coal, oil and gas fired power stations and increasing renewables is the way forward, with nuclear filling in the remainder to give 24/7/365 supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_...ed_Kingdom

BTW, when your Eon/ EDF bill proudly claims 80% "low carbon", or (stretching it a bit) "green, or clean" energy they're talking about nuclear powered steam engines Big Grin

Still waiting for di-lithium crystal power, beam me up Scotty.

Leccy bikes are coming on leaps and bounds with TT racers putting in over 100mph average laps (well lap) and people like Zero producing a range of ready to go bikes, cars are well down the hybrid route, but I don't know if that'll convert well to bikes, I suspect not well as they need an engine and big batteries, long term Hydrogen cell, or similar remain the Holy Grail of transport Cool
There's no hope ........ he'll be an engineer !
Personally.....

When the electricity and gas industry was privatised that was THE biggest mistake by far. Now the industries are in such a state of chaos and disarray, we haven't got a common goal. We need affordable energy....
We need energy.

No generator will look to nuclear... EDF are getting their fingers well and truly burnt at Hinckley with tinkering by the UK government, the EU and the German generators.
Eon pulled out of nuclear in the UK because Merkel wants to see the end of nuclear in Germany.
SSE and Scottish Power are looking to renewables only.

As we don't produce any gas or coal so we will be buggered if that stops to feed the old knackered power stations we have left.

I agree we need new nuclear stations, but unless we have state control, these generators and suppliers are making a perfect storm of what's to come.
So, that was 2017....
We are doomed I tell you doomed !!!!
I'm getting me wind turbine up
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

By the time Macron has finished with May her head will be spinning, EDF is state owned and produces 80% of France's energy from nuclear with a huge reprocessing facility at Le Havre, though as you say the Tories don't have a clue and who knows what Corbyn will go for with his CND past (a lot of Labour luvvies confuse nuclear weapons with energy production).

As for Eon and RWE, we'll see what happens when Merkel has to rescind the subsidies on renewables, all the lights go out and industry shuts down because it's not windy, or sunny enough https://www.ft.com/content/27f8676a-4b52...14ce4af89b watch out for far right Austrians promising to solve the countries problems is all I'm sayin  Undecided

Or Putin with a "clean gas" deal !
Had to chuckle when I saw this advertised by the IMechE

UK Electricity – a dysfunctional market? 

This lecture is based on a presentation made by the IMechE to Members of Parliament and of the House of Lords.

The ideology that electricity prices provide adequate signals for the market to respond and result in the right outcome for UK plc has proven unrealistic and the government responses since privatisation, has proven inadequate to address Security of Supply and other issues.

The retirement of old coal fired plants has reduced reserve capacity and uncertainties regarding nuclear new build implies a programme of new plants construction, however market uncertainties have deterred new entrants.

It is now time to critically review our regulatory system and consider possible alternatives.
been working on Hinkley this week we have picked up close to half a billion in works and that's only a small part of the job, the size and scale is mind blowing and that's just the section I am mobilising

The Austrians will solve our problems  Laugh
Hmm....!

That's where it all started last time. If the new right wing leader is short, moustached, and a chip on his shoulder .....
So, that was 2017....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Ten most expensive bikes in the world. lbk 8 506 19-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Last Post: anthony1664
  Kitchen sink bikes getting better lbk 6 464 28-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Last Post: anthony1664
  Ex Police Bikes Glen 11 805 26-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Seth
  Pillion friendly bikes ChrisJH 19 944 15-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Last Post: lbk