Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW GS - Fuel Strip Issues - LBK
Nice one Bez. I actually understand what he's done. Clever sod. I thought the Canbus would have recognised an anomaly! It's a sure fire way round though. Thanks mate. I might even join this forum you speak of.  Cool
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.
My thoughts too about canbus.... BUT.... canbus won't work on varying voltage which the fuel strip needs....

Just don't understand why they never stuck to the 'float method' like most of their models. Keep it simple.
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Yep! I think they need to adopt LBK'S KISS approach.
Just buy a new bike, you know its the best option
I am Spartacus 
Not until he fixes the current one.....the what IF or WHY would apply with me.

Spot on Doc Confused
So... if you can't fix it.... I thought, convert.

Been reading on one of the GS websites, GSer.com. One person has tried to convert the strip to floats...
Doesn't seem to have been successful....

Looks like BMW used the strip method as the internal design of the tank was such, a float had no room to operate.

Basically.... it's a new strip.

But..... having now seen one on the bench..... I think the failures are due to ethanol in the fuel...
As the strip works on resistance, the water in the ethanol may cause a short. 
Now, I say this with love Kev.... if you are not using your bike much... the ethanol will get to work and ruin your strip....

At a guess.... many GS will be weekend Queens....which just sit in a nice warm garage, but the evil ethanol will be working its wicked ways....

I would fill the tank with super unleaded (check your manual, as I'm pretty sure you should only use standard unleaded if only Super is unavailable) and ethanol stabiliser and use the bike more.....

Just an idea....

Just in case....

Here's the link...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread....-Dummy-Run

(17-08-2017, 08:01 AM)DrMarten Wrote: Not until he fixes the current one.....the what IF or WHY would apply with me.

But it's going to go tits-up again after all his hard work, and he's planning a new bike soon anyway.

For me - use the trip meter and live with it, then trade it to BM and let them sort their 'known issue'?
I am Spartacus 
You seem keen on him spending his millions....

Did you hear the kicking and screaming when he paid for his new car?

Just need to break him off this diversion to Triumph....

He has mentioned quite a few times that there's a new bike on next years horizon...

Plus, I'm in the process of shelling for a new motor and another bike - someone needs to join me in this!!  Laugh
I am Spartacus 
(18-08-2017, 02:26 PM)Ledwardio Wrote: He has mentioned quite a few times that there's a new bike on next years horizon...

Plus, I'm in the process of shelling for a new motor and another bike - someone needs to join me in this!!  Laugh

Another bike???

Yeah, keeping Buffs Blade in the family

Hasn't entirely gone down well - going to cost me a fortune in wine and gin!
I am Spartacus 
Really?!

Did you have a 'Blade ages ago?

No, not had a Blade, most of my sports tackle has been Kwakkers
I am Spartacus 
Nice one Doc. I'm reading ya on this brother. However, on this occasion. Ledwankio is spot on. It's back to basics with the old trip meter and chop it in next year.
I'm off to be ass fucked tomorrow at BMW if that makes you feel any better Rolleyes

Not really mate. I feel your pain as they do it without lube.....bastards!
Saturday revealed a surprise.

First service done for a reasonable £178 and some copper.

Still sounds expensive ?

Well the CRF should've been £129, so I'd say the BM service is comparable.

What does smart..... £64 for oil. That's £16 a litre. Now I know they do use BMW own brand oil... as I witnessed it... but FFS.... £5 a litre for having BMW on a barrel v say the equivalent Castrol branded oil.

All in all.... and to put it into perspective ...the first service on the Focus was a couple of quid difference so... it is what it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rusty Fuel Tank? DrMarten 29 2,857 13-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Last Post: DrMarten