Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW GS - Fuel Strip Issues - LBK
Kev - Not sure if you are on the GSA Forum - if not been hunting out 'fuel sender' threads - can't directly link them to non-members - so have copied and pasted some info that may be a bit useful.
I'll do a new forum post in a new post on here - so may be bit of long one but should be much easier for you to track.
[Image: 0s4xliEM.jpeg]

In Madness You Dwell

Quote:Get a peizo spark "gas match" - barbecue lighter. Wire the spark terminals across terminals 2 and 3 of the fuel sender bock (located by the fuel pump). Click the lighter two or three times and repconnect the sender. The fuel strip should work again.

The strip has a heater resistor and a resistance measuring track bonded into a mylar plastic strip. When the strip is heated the resistance will vary according to fuel level - Petrol cools part of the strip to ambient. Sadly, the resistance track eventually cracks somewhere along it's line so the strip packs up. Zapping it carbonises between the cracked ends and it works again. It can be zapped again (a few times) but eventually it will be toast.

In Madness You Dwell

Quote:I've done it lasted a month so bought a new one £139 and fitted myself using a GS-911wifi .what I would advise is to remove from the tank before you Zappa it and all this zapp it 3 to six times is shite as first one makes circuit and that stops the piezo working any further as there's no gap to jump . It all depends on how many times you like stripping bike to remove it and yes you can do it whilst still in tank but I wouldn't

In Madness You Dwell

Quote:I did it in the tank. Just make sure you have the tank fully fuelled so less vapour. Did mine three months ago still working fine

In Madness You Dwell

Quote:The copper tracks are sealed inside petrol proof plastic. The spark can only jump across the fracture so it's safe. Even with a small amount of fuel in the tank the vapours are too dense to burn so even if the spark was open (it's not) it could not cause a bang.

I went for a completely new sliding float stick sender and separate gauge. There is another thread where we are discussing fitting a float gauge to the OEM fuel strip system. It needs "stuff" to fool the OEM system into thinking its got a fuel strip attached, but not "that" bad.

In Madness You Dwell

Quote:I have had this problem now for the 6th time. But don't worry because BMW UK have mailed me to say (and I quote) "The fuel strip failure isn’t a known issue." Idiots [Image: frown.gif]

Quote:I had my seventh strip fitted just before I left for Norway 3 weeks ago so far it's still working on after doing another 4.500 miles. This was my fourth one in 2 years . Not a known problem my ass.

Quote:It's an official recall in the US as they realise they are a sue culture.

In Madness You Dwell

A lighter?

A Petrol tank?

I say, lets get some sausages on that  Confused

[Image: pb1.jpg]
I am Spartacus 
He's an engineer it'll be fine Big Grin

In Madness You Dwell

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Have read about this technique, based on static discharge, and some respond and some don't. It's well worth to try.

Not on any other forums Bez. Cheers though, I'll have a proper read when I get home. Thanks sweet cheeks. Cool
To the Regiment! I wish I was there.

Looks like its the same on the RT - so glad on the Twin Cam they used the float measure - simplest is the best!

In Madness You Dwell

In Madness You Dwell

Very interesting. May have to try one of those options mate.
I have a solution to your fuel stip issue.......... http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/offe...ce=desktop
My real name is Dave 
Been there done that one mate. I would have a Tex tbh. Don't think they do a factory lowered one though. My Tiger 1050 was probably the best suited bike for me. Once Kais lowered the suspension for me. Proper clued up them boys.
That's going back to the dark side Dave  Big Grin

In Madness You Dwell

I never had a problem with any of the Triumphs I've owned and I've owned a few. As far as general all round build quality, BMW have the edge for me. The Boxer engine......Oof! Although not the most aesthetically pleasing I've seen. Once you get over the sticky out bits, your on a winner imho Cool
(12-08-2017, 07:31 AM)lbk Wrote: I never had a problem with any of the Triumphs I've owned and I've owned a few.

Not even the one that threw you down the road?
I am Spartacus 
I've several friends with Triumphs and they all "LIKE THEM", but never heard the word "LOVE" them......

The one with the 1050 Tiger, says it would be perfect IF it had more top end and no speed limiter Huh

And to the new 765 Street Triple, raves about the engine.......and the TFT screen....but nothing else except he says its less intense than the 1290 SD R it replaces..... yep! can relate to that.

Bonneville....each to their own, as I've said, I'd rather stick hot hat pins in my eyes.... He graciously and proudly handed the keys over as he took my 14..... we both said the bikes were different than our preconceptions.... the Bonny is a sweet ride and can see the appeal, just not for moi. He said of the 14....I could tow my caravan with this....its unbelievable..... but too physically demanding.... I eventually succumbed to that!

So.....if I were going down the Trumpet route, I'd have a Bonneville.
He has two original Bonny's....ridden those, and they ARE fantastic.....

(12-08-2017, 08:15 AM)Ledwardio Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 07:31 AM)lbk Wrote: I never had a problem with any of the Triumphs I've owned and I've owned a few.

Not even the one that threw you down the road?

Not really no! That was down to the twat who did the breaks. The twat!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rusty Fuel Tank? DrMarten 29 2,723 13-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Last Post: DrMarten